The Secret Garden by the late [Frances Hodgson Burnett][author-link] is her classic children’s journey of self-discovery novel, free for a limited time courtesy of publisher Tantor Audio.
This beloved children’s classic novel, originally published in 1911 and adapted many times to film, tells the tale of an abruptly orphaned girl who discovers a secret garden at her uncle’s manor, which has been neglected since the death of her aunt, and becomes transformed by her experience working to save it. This reading is narrated by Josephine Bailey.
Offered worldwide through November, available as a DRM-free MP3 download directly from the publisher.
Continue reading “[Free Audiobook] The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett [Children’s Classic Novel]”
A Boy Called Christmas by British author Matt Haig is the 1st story in his Christmas trilogy of children’s holiday adventure tales with fantasy elements, free for a limited time courtesy of publisher Penguin Random House Audio.
The series gives an alternate backstory for Santa Claus and his family in the modern day, undergoing Christmas adventure quests, and this installment is narrated by actor Stephen Fry.
The story stars a young boy who goes in search of his missing father, traveling to the North Pole on adventures which include meeting reindeer and trolls and the elves of Elfheim village, who are experiencing problems only young Nikolas might be able to solve.
Offered worldwide until 12 PM Eastern Time on November 20th, available as a DRM-free MP4 download directly from the publisher and in their app.
Continue reading “[Free Audiobook] A Boy Called Christmas by Matt Haig [Children’s Fantasy Adventure]”
Lyra’s Oxford by English author Philip Pullman is a short story sequel to his His Dark Materials series of children’s/young adult fantasy, free for a limited time courtesy of publisher Penguin Random House Audio.
The series, which was adapted to film as The Golden Compass, takes place in a multiverse, of which one part is a magical analogue of England circa the Victorian era, where humans’ inner selves manifest as special animals known as dæmons, and people can travel between parallel worlds.
This short story takes place two years after the end of the original novel trilogy, and stars the heroine Lyra as she experiences an adventure in her native world’s version of Oxford University. The story is narrated by the author himself, with additional performances by a full cast, and is being made free to promote an upcoming new trilogy in the same setting, The Book of Dust, the first part of which which will be released later this year.
Offered worldwide until 12 PM Eastern Time on August 25th, available as a DRM-free MP4 download directly from the publisher and in their app.
Continue reading “[Free Audiobook] Lyra’s Oxford by Philip Pullman [Young Adult Fantasy]”
AudioFile’s SYNC Summer of Listening 2017 promotion for young adults continues, which offers 2 free audiobooks per week—1 classic or non-fiction, 1 modern—as free MP3 downloads, usually available worldwide (some titles are subject to geo-restrictions, and you can see the planned release schedule here).
This week’s two selected titles, which have a theme of alternate historical fantasy, available until 7am Eastern Time on August 3rd, are as follows:
- Shadows on the Moon by Zoe Marriott, is her fantasy novel set in a world based loosely on feudal Japan, where a girl trained in the illusion-casting art of shadow weaving must discover her own identity, even as she seeks revenge for the death of her family; from Brilliance Audio, read by Amy Rubinate
- Airborn by Canadian author Kenneth Oppel, who was the recipient of Canada’s prestigious Governor General’s Literary Award for this in 2004, is the 1st novel in his eponymous trilogy of steampunk sci-fantasy which take place in an alternate history version of Canada, starring a cabin boy aboard an airship who rescues a traveler in a balloon, thereby setting off a series of adventures; from Full Cast Audio, read by David Kelly and others
Offered as DRM-free MP3s through 7am Eastern Time on August 3rd, available in selected countries worldwide (requires installing Overdrive Media console software on your PC, Mac, Android, or iDevice, and you need to finish downloading before the time limit).
Anne of Green Gables by Canadian author Lucy Maud Montgomery is the 1st novel in her beloved children’s classic series of novels starring a plucky orphan on Prince Edward Island, free for a limited time courtesy of Tantor Audio.
This was their featured Free Book of the Month selection for May, narrated by Shelly Fraser, and if you are interested, you can still get it here @ their webstore for the next few hours.
Offered until the end of May, as DRM-free MP3s available worldwide (accompanied by a PDF ebook of the public domain novel to read along with), directly from the publisher’s webstore (requires account signup with billing address but no payment info).
The Hidden Stairs and the Magic Carpet by Tony Abbott is the 1st novel in his long-running The Secrets of Droon series of elementary-level children’s fantasy, free for a limited time courtesy of publisher Scholastic.
This popular long-running series series for younger readers (which has reached 44 installments since the 1st novel came out in 1999) is a portal fantasy of the sort where schoolkids discover a gateway to another magical world tucked away inside a mundane building. This first adventure introduces the kids and starts them on their journey where they encounter flying lizards and befriend a royal princess.
Offered in Canada & the US, available at multiple retailers.
Continue reading “[Free eBook] The Hidden Stairs and the Magic Carpet by Tony Abbott [Children’s Fantasy]”
Goldie by Ellen Miles is the 1st novel in her The Puppy Place series of early readers children’s animal chapter books, free for a limited time courtesy of publisher Scholastic.
This popular long-running children’s series for early readers (up to 47 installments thus far) consists of individual tales about adopting and caring for dogs. This particular installment stars responsible young children who realize that puppies are a lot of work, who get a chance to demonstrate said responsibility when a young golden retriever enters their lives.
Offered in Canada & the US, available at multiple retailers.
Continue reading “[Free eBook] Goldie by Ellen Miles [Children’s Novel]”
As a special treat to promote Bookstore Day 2017, audiobook retailer Libro.fm is offering 6 free audiobooks, as incentive for visiting your local independent bookstore (which may also offer cards to redeem additional titles).
The titles available as part of the online offer are from a variety of genres and age levels, and can be downloaded via the Libro.fm app available for iTunes and Android devices, or as DRM-free MP3s on your computer.
- **A Supposedly Fun Thing I’ll Never Do Again ** by the late literary fiction author David Foster Wallace, a humorous non-fiction essay about a Carribean cruise experience, exclusive to this Bookstore Day 2017 offer
- Hachette Audio Story Sampler, another Bookstore Day 2017 exclusive, containing selected short works read by comedian David Sedaris, the late musician Pete Seeger, and the late actor Alan Rickman
- Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School by John Medina, a self-improvement guide
- The Women in the Castle by Jennifer Shattuck, an historical drama about three widows in Germany at the end of World War II
- Shadow House #1: The Gathering by Dan Poblocki, horror adventure novel for tweens, involving a haunted house
- Tomb Quest #1: Book of the Dead by Michael Northrup, pulp adventure novel for tweens, involving Egyptian mythology
- Penguin Random House Audio Story Sampler, another Bookstore Day 2017 exclusive, but this one just consists of introductory chapters from their bestsellers
Offered in many regions worldwide, until midnight PST on April 29th, directly from Libro.fm (requires account signup but no payment info)
As a special treat to promote the 20th anniversary of UNESCO’s international World Book Day, Audible, an audiobook company acquired by Amazon, is making 5 audiobook titles free for a limited time.
These include classics of children’s literature and spy & science fiction, as well as a popular modern novel which has been adapted to film. The free books are as follows:
- Peter Pan, the classic children’s fantasy by J. M. Barrie
- Watership Down, the classic children’s fantasy about a society of intelligent rabbits, by Richard Adams
- The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, the classic science fiction novel by Robert A. Heinlein
- Casino Royale, the 1st novel in the iconic James Bond espionage action thriller franchise by Ian Fleming
- The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick, a bestselling contemporary literary fiction novel and basis of the eponymous film
Offered in at least Canada & the US throughout April 23rd, available via Audible’s special World Book Day promo page here (probably requires a linked Amazon account before you can checkout after using all the Add to Cart buttons).
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott is her classic lit novel, free for a limited time courtesy of publisher Penguin Random House Audio.
This audibook edition is read by actress Christina Ricci (of The Addams Family movie fame) and is an unabridged edition giving the full story of the four sisters of the March family and their various adventures during the mid-19th century, which was originally published in 1868 and has since become a much-beloved coming-of-age classic for readers of all ages.
Offered only until 11:59 AM Eastern Time on March 24th, available DRM-free to Canada & the US (possibly other countries as well), as PRH Audio’s featured Free Book of the Month offer.
Continue reading “[Free Audiobook] Little Women by Louisa May Alcott [Classic Literature Novel]”